FH Breast Cancer
Family history of Breast Cancer Audit
Women with a family history of breast cancer have varying levels of risk of suffering from breast cancer. UK guidance (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence - http://www.nice.org.uk/CG41 ) suggests:
- People with low risk can be managed in primary care and take action to reduce modifiable risk factors.
- Increased surveillance is needed for people at increased risk
- Genetic advice and intervention is required for some high risk patients
For a detailed explanation of the background please click here.
For the literature review please click here.
This page provides information and audit tools to check whether your practice/group of practices is recording the relevant information and taking action to improve the management of people with a family history of breast cancer.
We are developing an audit-based education (ABE) programme which can be used provide groups of practices feedback as to their data recording levels.
- The first step is a baseline data collection to inform about recording of key risk factors and if any interventions have taken place.
- We then recommend a “Data Quality Workshop (DQW)” is held to share baseline data with all practices – so that an action plan is developed to improve quality. The action plan is likely to have two elements:
- Improving data quality and data recording
- Meeting educational needs about managing people with a family history of breast cancer
- A further data collection and feedback session – a second DQW – is held to provide further feedback.
- There can be as many subsequent rounds of data collection and feedback as required.
RCGP lead: Dr. Imran Rafi
Informatics: Prof Simon de Lusignan
About audit-based education (ABE):
Methods Inf Med. 2007;46(1):57-62 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17224982
J Public Health (Oxf). 2006;28(4):361-9 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17038329
Example self-audit programme in diabetes:
Diabetes self-audit tools http://www.clininf.eu/cod
Diabet Med. 2012;29(2):181-9 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21883428
Breast Cancer Audit Poster Audit_Poster_20120915v2.pdf
Example baseline DQW presentation:
Download exemplar data presentation: FH Breast Cancer DQW Exemplar.pdf
Download "laminate" summary feedback sheet Feedback_summary_DQW.pdf